Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Glorifying or Gratifying?




If you take notice, the description under my blog title reads: 
"Learning how to bring glory to God as we live our lives together one day at a time." 
As a Christian, this is my life goal - but what does this look like to the average person? A few things may come to mind such as  A+ church attendance, volunteering for community outreaches, Sunday school teaching, attending Bible studies, witnessing, being nice to people, reading your bible every day, going on mission trips, etc. Basically, a lot of things the public mostly sees... right? While all these things are great, God has been shifting the focus for me lately.

I have been contemplating different ways I can bring God glory - with my 'private life' being the focal point. Our private life is an accurate gauge as to where we are spiritually vs. where we may 'appear' to be publicly.  God cares more about what we do and think in secret than we know. Matthew 7:21-23 is a good lesson in the importance of our private life vs. our public life. Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord!’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the person who does what my Father in heaven wants. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, didn't we prophesy in your name? Didn't we force out demons and do many miracles by the power and authority of your name?’ Then I will tell them publicly, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you evil people.’ These people 'publicly' confessed their belief that the Lord was their Savior, along with the public display of miracles; however, look how the Lord responds to them on judgment day. He says, "I will tell them 'publicly' I never knew you." The problem with these people is that their works were not a true reflection of what was in their hearts. While they had an 'appearance' of righteousness, their hearts were far from Christ. Only He knows our hearts. "I the LORD search the heart and examine the mind, to reward each person according to their conduct, according to what their deeds deserve" (Jeremiah 17:10). 

I don't want to be partially, yet *fully* committed to the Lord, in that my private life matches my public life. To truly have a heart for God, you must realize that every little decision you make affects your walk with the Lord. Every sinful choice means we have to override our conscious *every* single time. Ultimately, our decision will either Gratify our Flesh or Glorify our God. 

Speaking of decisions -  a few nights ago, my husband and I wanted to see a movie. We made the decision to glorify God and not our flesh by looking up the contents of the movie before viewing it (this counts for Redbox/rentals as well). *Note* MPAA ratings are a worldly perspective as to what is/isn't acceptable. I have seen plenty PG/PG-13 movies that had inappropriate material. God's word tells us exactly what is acceptable and non-acceptable to Him. A movie does not have to be a 'Christian' movie for us to view it; however, the contents should meet God's standards based on His word. Here is God's MPAA rating scale as to what we should watch and listen to.



Let me ask you a question - what movies have you gone to see recently? What TV shows have you been meditating on? Was everything in it pure, honorable and praiseworthy? Would you have taken Jesus to see that movie or invited Him over to watch that episode? Obeying this concept really limits what my husband and I watch - and I will admit - it's hard at times. When we do see something inappropriate, we turn our heads. When I think of the grand scheme of things, it is extremely selfish to whine about sacrificing something so simple compared to Christ sacrificing His life for us. It's just a movie - we can't keep it or take it with us.




I don't know where you live, but currently playing in our theaters are: Epic, Fast and Furious, The Hangover part three, Star Trek into darkness, the great Gatsby, and pain and gain.

I want to share a site we use as a guideline for movie viewing: www.IMDB.com There are many others, but we use this the most. I encourage you to type your movie in and scroll all the way down to where it says:

Motion Picture Rating (MPAA)

Parents Guide:

 View content advisory »
You may be surprised at what you find and... if you are serious about having a closer walk with God, this is a decision that will glorify Him. 

Continuing with decisions... I do not always make good ones! Today my husband and I fell short when we got into an argument over something so ridiculously, trivial. Are you ready for this? It was over a spot on the backseat of our car! Yes, I told you it was stupid! Out of anger/frustration, we both said something to one another that definitely was not glorifying to God. Pray for me (and my husband) because I want to have more control over my tongue and emotions. If anyone else struggles with *SPEECH* here are some good verses to meditate on:


Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up others according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Matthew 12:36
But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the Day of Judgment.

It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
  1.  Our speech shows are heart.
  2. “Unclean” refers to anything that Moses’ Teachings say is not presentable to God.
And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”
a.      If displeasing, unclean things come out of our heart/mouth, then we do not love God completely (with all our heart, soul and mind).

Psalm 39:1

I will watch my ways   and keep my tongue from sin; 
I will put a muzzle on my mouth while in the presence of the wicked.

John 14:26 

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Lastly, to touch on a few more decisions... we glorified God by praying and giving thanks for every meal. Also, while on our way to Knoebels Amusement Park - praise God - my husband turned his head away from a few girls who were dressed inappropriately! I also made the decision to glorify God by dressing modestly - instead of becoming a stumbling block to the men around me. I didn't always do this, but as my relationship with Christ grew, He placed this on my heart. 


Do you feel God calling you to change anything in your life that will bring Him glory?

I thank the Lord for today! I really a had a wonderful time with my family. We ate and rode rides to the glory of God :o) 
Here are a few pictures and a video...













No comments:

Post a Comment